Even though oil changes are relatively simple and inexpensive, they significantly help extend your engine’s longevity and enhance its overall operating performance. By staying on top of routine oil changes, you can prevent excessive engine wear and tear. Fresh, clean oil optimizes your vehicle’s performance by keeping the engine parts lubricated, protecting against metal-on-metal contact.
You may not always be able to rely on the mileage interval or the dash warning light to let you know when it’s time to schedule an oil change service. Oil deteriorates and loses its effectiveness over time. As a result, your vehicle may start to suffer from an overdue oil change.
“How often do I need an oil change?” The answer is simple—read your owner’s manual or ask your auto repair mechanic. By adhering to the recommended intervals for oil changes, you can avoid the problems listed below:
- Dark and Dirty Oil — Over time, oil will darken and get dirty from the particles it collects from the engine. If you can’t see the dip stick through the oil, it’s time for an oil change.
- Noisy Engine — You may start to hear louder engine noises, such as knocking, rumbling, and even roaring as dirty oil is not able to lubricate engine parts as well.
- Warning Light — An illuminated oil change light on the instrument panel indicates that there’s too little oil in the system. You may get by with adding a quart or two of oil. But if the oil is dark, it’s time for an oil change.
- Exhaust Smoke — If you notice smoke coming from the muffler (compared to translucent vapor in cold temperatures), there could be an oil leak or faulty parts in the engine.
- Oil Smell — If you notice a strong smell of oil, there is probably a leak. If the smell is mixed with the smell of gas or exhaust fumes, it indicates that your vehicle is overheating and oil is burning in the exhaust area, causing serious engine damage.
Tip: Ask your auto shop about their oil change coupons!
Are you asking, “How often do I need an oil change?” Contact our ASE Certified technicians at theWrench, Ltd. Car Care Center about our oil change coupons and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in Silverdale, WA, and the surrounding area.